Business rates can account for a major part of the cost of running a high street business and along with the current rating itself, which you may disagree with, it may be possible to secure rebates from historic business rates liabilities as well.
A rating audit can deliver refunds through the forensic analysis of historic rates bills held by councils. It is completely different to a conventional rates appeal.Rates liabilities can be checked back as far as the 1990s to look for errors that have gone undetected.
- Incorrect application of transitional relief
- Transitional certificates not being issued
- Material change in circumstance allowances not applied
- Failure to apply different reliefs
- Rateable Value reductions not implemented.
- Unenforceable backdated rates bills.